Saturday, August 7, 2010

Letter to ThisTv

Dear ThisTV,

Alright. So a lot of your movies are flaunting around town with the crown of “Cult Film” proudly displayed. Honestly, that’s why I love your network. While you split time between the run-of-the-mill cult movies like Foxy Brown, Convoy, and Dr. Phibes, some of the films that you show are without exaggeration, cult-of-the-cult-of-the-cult films. I mean, who in their right mind would sit and say to themselves, “You know, there was this great TV-movie that I saw in 1983 that I just really needed to remember and then seek to watch again.” But there they are!

Don’t get me wrong here; I love the shit out of it. The sheer amount of Oscar-worthy cheese on your channel satiates my desire to watch Godzilla films on a daily basis, and I love that I don’t have to return to that drug of choice so regularly because of it.

With that said, I would simply suggest a bit more ownership of this aspect of your programming. I mean, you really label your stuff on Saturday night with exactly what it is. The rest of it seems to just be aired with a straight face as if it’s completely normal for a third-rate B-movie (like Species 3) to be broadcast twice on a Friday during prime-time.

My advice is play to the “quirky” angle and reel in the crowd that Elvira or Grandpa Munster might have drawn with little snippets of bumpers to play with these films. Kitschy, hipster shit will catch on like Adult Swim. You get me, I’m sure.

Again, I can’t express how much I enjoy your network. Thank you for the work that you do to keep my regular interest, and I hope you’ll take my recommendation into account as you move forward. I appreciate your attention to this letter.

Sincerely,

GR3G0R

1 comment:

  1. I agree 100% I to wrote a letter to ask (beg) that ThisTV pick up Mr. Lobo's show Cinema Insomnia. Let us hope that they listen.

    http://www.cinemainsomnia.com/

    ReplyDelete