Monday, August 30, 2010

The Lost Skeleton Returns Again




Note: I am writing this entry without the use of expletives as a tip-of-the-hat to the writer of the film. Believe me, it’s tough as…well, you know...some four-letter word.

Anyways, I usually don’t write about movies that I think are simply “flat-out awesome” for good reason. To be honest, I'm pretty bad at heaping praise. I tend to lean more towards ridicule and finger-pointing than flat-out adoration.

The fact remains, though, that there are movies that deserve the latter. This film is one such film that deserves it's own deserving. And then some.

So, The Lost Skeleton Returns Again is a send-up of 1950’s jungle-adventure films. It is consistent flashes of brilliant dialogue in-between astonishingly hilarious set-pieces (Monsters!) that sew together a plot that is only barely more tightly knit than the dialogue.

That's the freakin' point numb-skull (haha, see what I did there?).

The disjointed conversations and “bad” acting are all part of the deal. I’m hoping I don’t have to tell you that. Just in case, it is and has to be appreciated for what it is. It’s parody! (I know, most of us are relatively unfamiliar with the concept. Take a refresher course.) Believe me, you’ll get the funny the second time around if not the first. It'll settle into your bones (see, there it is again!) and then suddenly you'll hear yourself uttering the words, "The jungle gets into your blood and builds tiny little houses of pain and you don't wanna be there when the rent's due because the anaconda, funny thing; they don't know how to read a lease." And if you don’t, well, go back to watching Meet the Spartans and Vampires Suck. Those are easy enough on your simple little brain. Adam Sandler probably has a movie coming out in a couple of months too.

Enough of that.

Bottom line(s): this movie is hilarious. It is hilarious because the actors know what they’re doing:



It is hilarious because the lines are hilarious:



And it is hilarious because because because:



Buy it. And others. And other others.



FLemING…fleMINg…FleMinG…FLEMing....fLEmINg....

2 comments:

  1. It is a brilliant movie! One of those movies I can watch several times...in a row...and I have.

    ReplyDelete